Monday, October 5, 2009

Modification #2

So I started modifying cheaply first and my next modification was removing the pillion foot pegs. The left side wasn't a problem but the right side foot peg doubled as the exhaust hanger. So off it came anyway, and I began surgery with a cut off tool. I cut off the peg and ground down the hinge for it. I tried to smooth it out the best I could, but there was some casting voids and pits where the peg hinges were.
So I decided to continue with the round theme I had decided to used on the bike and got out my hole saw. I cut two lightening holes into the hanger, conveniently where the hinge for the peg was. Starting to look much better, but there was still a small void in the front of the hanger. While I'm sure it would have been hard to notice I knew it was there and it just wouldn't do. I tried to grind down the void and smooth it out as my
original plan was to polish the hanger to show it off for bling purposes. However the metal was not going to cooperate with me. I did toy with the idea of drilling a few more lightening holes into the hanger, but decided against it. For some reason, it just wouldn't look right, at least to me anyway. So I decided that I wasn't going to be able to polish it, bummer. Oh well, I decided to used the rat bikers secret weapon. Flat black spray paint. I think it still came out pretty good. It almost blends in perfect with the rest of the bike and gives the illusion that the muffler is just hanging there all by itself. I'm still considering polishing it as it's kinda hard to see, unless you know it's there. All that cool work, and nobody even notices it. I suppose that's just part of build up a bike, all the little details and such, most people see all the big bling stuff, but the little things nobody ever notices. Such is the way of things.













The gold on those shocks have got to go too. I'll figure out how to do that when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment