Friday, October 2, 2009

And The Modifications Begin

The very first thing I did was install a set of frame sliders and swingarm spools to protect the engine cases and make lifting up the rear wheel easier. I spent the next couple of weeks just getting acquainted with the bike and doing research. It was late October and starting to get cold. I have a rule, I ride until the temperature drops below freezing at night or daylight savings time and we turn the back. There's just not enough daylight to ride, esspecially on the way home from work. I've almost been hit twice riding home from work in the rush hour traffic around here in the Washington, DC metro area. So it's just not worth it. Mercifully, we have rather short winters around here so actual down time is much shorter when compared to other areas of the country. The previous owner installed one inch handle bar riser spacers to lift the stock "sit up and beg" handlebars up and back. I promptly removed them and spun the risers around to move the bars forwards. That would have to do until I found the right clip-ons or ace bars to install. I turned my attention to the headlight and turn signals. The rectangular headlight and turn signals is very 1980s Japanese, as well as the fairing. Which is what Kawasaki was going for with the ZRX. It's supposed to be a replica of Eddie Lawson's superbike. While it looked great, it was not what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment